Carla's right Golden Sweet apricot rocks!!

fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TXJune 3, 2012

Got a few fruit off the potted Golden Sweet I picked up this spring on Carla's recommendation. It's the first late apricot I've liked. Late ones I haven't liked include Gold Kist, Blenheim, Hunza, Autumn Glo, Earli Autumn, Canadian White Blenheim, Lorna, and Moorpark. By late I'm saying after Robada. Tardirouge isn't ripe yet and this will be my first crop on it. I had a couple fruit on Orangered and it was only fair.

Golden Sweet ranged from 22 to 26 brix so it's very sweet. The flavor is excellent with a good bit of tartness. Size only medium to small but OK. Pit semi free. Only real negative was a bit soft in the overripe parts of the fruit. Overall one of the best apricot I've eaten. But it is one year and a potted tree.

I had quit a few Early Blush which for me ripened 10 days after Tasty Rich, a month ago. It was fairly sweet but turned to mush very quickly on ripening. Taste was OK. Barely a keeper for another try next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kngskid(Georgia zone 7b)

Could you post a picture of your tree? I'd like to see your spacing. TIA

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 10:23PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The tree is in about a 5 gal pot.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 11:46PM
alan haigh

I'm not surprised Earlyblush is only mediocre for you. For me its value is its unique early ripening amongst available cold hardy varieties. You can grow anything.

Bookmark   June 4, 2012 at 5:58AM
MarinaO

Hello,

I am new to this forum (and relatively new to growing fruit trees too! :-)
I will plant some more fruit trees this winter and would love to have a golden sweet apricot. How did you manage to get one? I live in San Jose, CA) so I can always drive to Burchell nursery but on their website they state that they sell to commercial growers only.
Thank you very much!

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 3:37PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Interesting variety. According to Burchell, it is 4-500 chills, self fertile, patent expires Oct. 11.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=PP08932.PN.&OS=PN/PP08932&RS=PN/PP08932

Here is a link that might be useful: to buy

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 4:32PM
MarinaO

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™