What's with my Italian Plum?

kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)June 12, 2012

I live in the Pacific NW, and have a beautiful, healthy-looking Italian Plum tree that I planted about 5 years ago. It puts out lots of blossoms each year, but it hardly ever produces any plums: last year I got 6 plums, this year it looks like there is one! I have 4 other fruit trees nearby that were planted about the same time -- combo and single species -- and they are all well-loaded with fruit. Can anyone suggest what might be going on?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murkwell

Is it getting too much fertilizer? It looks like it has 2 feet of new growth or more already and it is only June.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 2:23AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

murky-
An inspired guess...but I actually don't fertilize any of my fruit trees. The odd thing is that there are three other plum trees within a ten foot radius of this one that are putting out fruit, and all are planted in similar soil and have similar sun exposures.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 3:00AM
alan haigh

You didn't mention what nearby loaded fruit trees are. Are any of them European plums providing cross pollination? Self-fertility is relative and even varieties that are heralded is such are often marginally so.

I actually find Italian plums to be unreliable croppers here in southeastern NY, even when surrounded by compatible pollinators. Some sites get moderate production but on my own property I've one that has never given me a decent crop. I just keep it to help pollinate a Valor that I originally planted in the same hole.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 5:53AM
theaceofspades(7 Long Island)

My Italian plum tree took six years for a decent crop. I've found the Italian plum takes the longest to mature.

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 8:03AM
mrsg47(7)

Hi Kudzu! I've had my Italian plum for four years now and only this year has it set about 30 plums. I have my fingers crossed they won't drop. Love the plum though. Mrs. G

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 1:21PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Harvestman-
The other plum tree varieties in my yard that are loaded with fruit are European: Stanley, Yellow Egg, Seneca, Victoria, and Early Laxton.

theaceofspades and MrsG47- I'll try to be optimistic that the Italian plum is just starting to mature and next year will be different!

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 8:35PM
mrsg47(7)

I've learned, slowly but surely that all of my fruit trees take TIME, and spray. It will all work out!

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 10:19PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Ive read that Italian plums take many years to set fruit. Plus they need like 800 chill hours.

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 1:13AM
capoman(5a)

Same here. Italian plum was transplanted three years ago, and I only have a few plums despite prolific blooming, meanwhile the Japanese plums planted at the same time are doing much better. All look healthy though with strong growth.

Bookmark   June 18, 2012 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™