when do buds differentiate for fruit?

donnieappleseedJune 20, 2012

As I have mentioned previously we have had cool and wet Springs for 2010 and 2011 in the Pacific Northwest. Finally, this year, we are getting some sun and maybe better fruit sets......finally !

I have experimented with hand pollenation this year....modest (I think) success).

But now I am wondering about the idea of experimenting with putting mylar reflective coating under a couple apple trees to try to improve the fruit set for next year on a couple trees that just don't seem to have had many blossoms or, now, apples.

My question is: Would that work? Or am I too late? I have heard different things. I have heard bud differentiation takes place in late Spring for the next year.....and I have heard bud differentiation takes place all during the summer. Tomorrow is officially summer.....which is it? (thanks)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The process starts quite early but takes months so it might not be too late to help. I've seen next years fruit buds on sweet cherry for a long time now. They form before harvest but probably continue developing much of the summer.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™