Paw Paw leaves turning black

ribs1June 6, 2012

Hello,

I received 2 small paw paw trees a few weeks ago from one green world and planted them in pots. I used a mix of about 70% peat, 10% pine bark and 20% native soil. I have been watering every few days.

Today I noticed some of the leaves turning black on the edges. Is this transplant shock? Too much sunlight? Wrong potting mix?

Please help

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

Were they bare root or in pots when you got them? Did they have leaves when you got them? If they leafed out in the sun, I would guess it's not too much sunlight. If they had leaves when you got them, they may be sensitive to the sun, depending on the conditions at One Green World.

I bought a potted paw paw from One Green World several years ago. I planted it in the ground after a few days, in a sunny spot, and it was OK. I recall the potting mix was mostly pine bark, but the mix you made should be OK.

Alex

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 9:58PM
ribs1

These were potted plants and already leafed out. Will they recover? Should I give them more shade?

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 10:01PM
Edymnion(7a)

How tall are they? Pawpaws cannot tolerate direct sunlight for the first year or so. If they're under about 2 feet tall, you should keep them in shade at all times.

Bookmark   June 7, 2012 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™