No new black raspberry canes from crown

GhadamesJune 10, 2014

I have a black raspberry plant that was planted two years ago. This year, there are flowers on last year's cane. However, I cannot seem to find any new canes growing from the crown, which I find really strange.

The plant looks healthy, nothing wrong with it. Is there anything I can do to stimulate new growth? I did put fertilizer in early spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

There is still hope for a Canadian plant to sprout protocanes, but time is running short. Two years is too soon for a blackcap clump to go into decline.

If there is only have a single cane after two years, the planting is off to a slow start. I would give it one more year.

Nothing you can do (cutting down the fruiting cane might shock it into sprouting a new cane, but that would be unsatisfactory).

I wouldn't rely on a single clump of caneberries for long-term harvest; always have two of any one variety. I have kept my blackcaps going for over 10 years by allowing some canes to tip root. I only have one of the four original clumps still producing, all other canes are from previous tip-roots, and I have never had to buy a new plant.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 12:03AM
Ghadames

So there's really nothing I can do? I really don't want to cut off the fruiting cane. I'd rather buy another one if it dies.

I have no new cane tips to cut. I don't understand why it doesn't shoot a new cane. Doesn't want to survive? lol It looks all good and healthy, too!

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 10:30PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

It is strange. My black raspberry plant is fine. I guess blacks are a little more sensitive. I can report that Allen black raspberry took 13 nights below zero, three nights were double digit down to -14 degrees F. Only a small amount of the tips on floricanes died. Like an inch or two.
So you may want to look into that cultivar.
Here is a photo from the 4th of this month. One of 4 floricanes. The plant is amazing.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 23:24

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:10PM
guatejo

Many of my blacks started late this year. Some of the new canes are still only 4 or 5 inches tall. If you are north of me, and you are, I'd give it another couple weeks. It was a crazy cold spring, But it is getting late.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?
Hello all, When my son was stationed in Newport RI...
dancinglemons
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Sponsored Products
Knight Antique Copper Three-Light Pendant
$470.00 | Bellacor
Sterling Deluxe 5976-48S 48.875W x 70H in. Rain Glass Shower Door - 5976-48S
$528.99 | Hayneedle
Portland Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
Tetris Rug 8'6" x 11'6" - IVORY
$2,199.00 | Horchow
Designer II Round Tilting Mirror - Chrome
Signature Hardware
Filament Design Vista 1 Light Satin Outdoor LED Wall Light CLI-CE-0300LEDMG-13-6
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™