cool weather budding

Noogy(6 sw mi)June 3, 2013

I'm finishing up some grafting now that the bark is slipping and some of my scions have awaken about a 1/4 inch. I'm still planning on using this material since it's clean, and applying some oily wax to bud to slow down dessication. Has anyone had any luck with pears and the like? I presume the smaller and less awaken the tissue, the better. I also plan on wrapping them well and cutting the opening as it pushes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hannah9880(5b)

I graft onto my pear tree at the same time I graft apples, and in the same way. I have 8 varieties on my Bartlett tree, and added two more this spring. The two added this spring have started and look really well. (Flemish Beauty and Clapp's)

In the first years of the Bartlett blooming (five years ago), I had to drive down country roads looking for a wild tree to pollinate the Bartlett. In 2011, our banner year of fruit production here in Michigan, I canned 30 quarts of Bartlett--still eating them now. The Harrow Delight has borne fruit for several years, and the Orcas had fruit in 2011. My other grafts are too young to bear yet--but maybe, next year! But no more scouring the neighborhood for blossoms to pollinate. And the bees love this tree.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™