Any luck keeping mulberry smallish?

rehabbingisgreenJune 11, 2013

I have a smaller mulberry tree that came with the house and I'd like to keep it but it would be on the condition that it not grow large and I know these are large trees by nature. I'm wondering if I could keep it smaller or if it should go?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabaceae_native

It depends a lot on what type of mulberry it is, but I'm assuming it's a fruiting variety, many of which are smaller than the species.

In any event, as with other trees, summer pruning should be the best way to keep it small. You might even get a small second crop of berries as a result of this.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 10:59PM
rehabbingisgreen

It is fruiting. I have a larger one here that does not set fruit, a couple smaller ones that will be cut down that haven't set fruit and this one. This is the only one that has fruit. I'd like to try to keep it. I'm thinking of pruning it soon if it won't cause too much damage to the tree. We just had a very large elm removed and now I can get to the mulberry and work on it.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:35PM
alan haigh

Prune them like hell. You can stub them back or train them to a weep, but prune them a couple of times during the growing season and you can keep them in bounds. They bear on same year wood so as long as you keep smaller pieces of wood regenerating they can bear well no matter how you prune them.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 5:29AM
rehabbingisgreen

Thank you harvestman,
I will be out there pruning this baby up.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 9:43AM
danzeb(7a long island)

Here's a photo of my 3 year old, 4 1/2 ft, Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. It has about 100 berries on it. String and stacks in the ground are bending the branches and the center leader has been removed. Light weights on the grow tips can help shape growth also. If at some point it gets out of control I'll just start a new one. They grow and produce fast.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 10:46AM
danzeb(7a long island)

Here's a photo of my 3 year old, 4 1/2 ft, Illinois Everbearing Mulberry. It has about 100 berries on it. String and stacks in the ground are bending the branches and the center leader has been removed. Light weights on the grow tips can help shape growth also. If at some point it gets out of control I'll just start a new one. They grow and produce fast.

Bookmark   June 4, 2014 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
bees ignoring my plum blossoms
I stood and watched but never saw any bees on my Santa...
kittymoonbeam
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™