Newbie cherry fungus questions

bosphorusJune 2, 2012

Hi everyone. I live in NYC and I got a free Montmorency Cherry Tree from the city in April. Now about 40% of the leaves are covered in yellow spots. Based on some reading here, I bought some Captan and Immunox. There are no flowers on the tree anymore but a few (two?) cherries. Is now any okay time to apply fungicide?

However the directions and warnings about the Captan scared me. I get the part about not injesting but how do we make the paste without any touching our skins or without inhaling any? It makes it sound like if you inhale a tiny bit, you will stop breathing.

Should we try washing the leaves with dish soap or taking off the affected leaves first? I hate to introduce something so toxic if other things might work... but the problem is getting exponentially worse (it just started about 2 weeks ago and is now almost half the tree) and I don't want the tree to die.

Thanks in advance from a newbie gardener.

Elizabeth laffected leaves first?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Don't succumb to alarmism about fungicides, just take reasonable precautions. You might post a photo of your problem to help identification. No use spraying anything until you know what it is.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bosphorus

Thanks. Yes I admit the warnings made me feel alarmist. :) I will try to post some photos here. I think this link should work.

Thanks -
Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of cherry tree

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Need help choosing dwarf fruit trees.
These trees will be planted at my own Indianapolis...
URES
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™