Newbie cherry fungus questions

bosphorusJune 2, 2012

Hi everyone. I live in NYC and I got a free Montmorency Cherry Tree from the city in April. Now about 40% of the leaves are covered in yellow spots. Based on some reading here, I bought some Captan and Immunox. There are no flowers on the tree anymore but a few (two?) cherries. Is now any okay time to apply fungicide?

However the directions and warnings about the Captan scared me. I get the part about not injesting but how do we make the paste without any touching our skins or without inhaling any? It makes it sound like if you inhale a tiny bit, you will stop breathing.

Should we try washing the leaves with dish soap or taking off the affected leaves first? I hate to introduce something so toxic if other things might work... but the problem is getting exponentially worse (it just started about 2 weeks ago and is now almost half the tree) and I don't want the tree to die.

Thanks in advance from a newbie gardener.

Elizabeth laffected leaves first?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Don't succumb to alarmism about fungicides, just take reasonable precautions. You might post a photo of your problem to help identification. No use spraying anything until you know what it is.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 1:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bosphorus

Thanks. Yes I admit the warnings made me feel alarmist. :) I will try to post some photos here. I think this link should work.

Thanks -
Elizabeth

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of cherry tree

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Converting typhoon damaged hillside forest to blueberry plantation
Hello all We've recently obtained a small strip of...
theniceguy
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™