Shade loving fruits

iammarcus(6)June 30, 2012

Are there any shade loving fruits or berries in addition to pawpaws?

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Evergreen and Red Huckleberry,particularly the first one.If I think of or find more,I'll post them. Brady

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 10:35PM
murkwell

Evergreen huckleberry prefers shade. Salal seems to grow and produce in the shade.

Aronia and honeyberry do well in part shade. In fact I think most berries will do okay in part shade.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 10:43PM
copingwithclay

Despite being in filtered light, satsumas, oranges, kumquats, grapefruit, peaches, calamondins, figs, mulberries, and blueberries produce well here, but the shaded muscadines are undersized.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 1:28AM
denninmi(8a)

Blackberries, black raspberries, and wineberries all do well in partial shade, and often grow wild in thinly/moderately forested areas where they get dappled sunlight.

Serviceberry and gooseberry, too, in partial shade.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 7:05AM
canadianplant

A good amount of fruit bushes/trees will grow in some form of shade (dappled light for example), its a matter of a few things:

-Heat and sunlight. Full sun in Texas, is different than in Boston.

-IT isnt if the plant will survive, its a matter of fruit set. For most fruit, more sun = more fruit, but most will get away with a bit of less sun, given healthy soil. You wont know till you try.

-Currents, gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, saskatoons (amelanchier) all grow naturally in forested areas, and get at least some part of the day in shade.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:23AM
grow_darnit

I grow gooseberries, honey berries, black and red currants in quite a bit of shade, but they do get dappled sun or direct sun for an hour or so. You are not going to have much in full or dense shade.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:37AM
alan haigh

There is a naturalized and invasive bramble (most brambles can be invasive) that is often called wineberry that is amazing in its productivity in near total shade here. The fruit is raspberry like but blander and oranger. Still a pleasant fruit of some worth, IMO.

Edible Landscaping used to sell it under that name, and perhaps still does. It was the cover girl on EL's catalogue a few years back.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™