Protecting young peach tree this winter?

squirrelwhispererpup(9a)June 20, 2013

I have a Bonanza miniature peach tree in a big container, planted this past March. It has put on a good leaf canopy and is extending its branches. It is a low chill variety recommended by local extension service, which is essential where i live (Houston). I know it is deciduous but after it drops its leaves, should I provide it with extra protection (drape a flannel sheet over it, for example) when freezes are predicted this winter? While it doesn't freeze here very often and I can count on one hand the number of snows we have had in the past decade, temps can go from 70 to 30 degrees in a matter of hours when a cold front comes through so I don't know how much it will be acclimatized when the Gulf Coast version of winter arrives. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It won't need protection in fall or when dormant in winter. But after the flower buds start swelling in late winter then protect it from freezing. In your area that should only be once or twice a year that it might need protection. Even after bud swell and through flowering it has to drop below 28F to cause damage. But the forecast isn't always that good so freezing is a good protection threshold.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 11:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squirrelwhispererpup(9a)

Thanks, fruitnut!

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™