Most productive apricot for San Diego?

brownmolaJune 2, 2014

Well, I've always disliked apricots. I don't like them dried and the few I have had fresh always had a lot of bitterness to them. I guess I just have never had a good, ripe one until yesterday. My wife just bought a bunch from a farmer's market and I looked at her with great disdain. She basically forced me to try one and it was unbelievably good. After I ate 4 or 5 in one sitting, I actually went back to that market and bought about 20 more. Now I really want a tree (talk about coming 180 degrees around within a day or two).

Any recommendations on apricots for San Diego? I'm about 10 miles away from the coast. I would sacrifice a little bit of flavor for more productivity.

Royal Blenheim and Katy seem to the ones I usually see sold here. There were some large Royal Rosa apricots at my local nursery.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Attached link from CRFG lists low chill apricots for your area.

Even the best apricots are bitter and astringent unless fully ripe, ie soft. Sometimes they fall off the tree before they are fully ripe. Holding a day or two at room temperature will soften and ripen the fruits.

Here is a link that might be useful: low chill apricots for San Diego area

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 23:20

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 11:11PM
brownmola

Thanks Fruitnut! I saw that page earlier today but I'd like to get first hand recommendation if possible. I have a beauty plum that I bought based on a similar CRFG document and it has provided 2 plums in 4 years despite being a pretty large and healthy tree.

Bookmark   June 2, 2014 at 11:46PM
fireduck(10a)

brown....I have grown many varieties here in SoCal. Please, do not plant a Katy. Despite the hype...it is not a true low chiller (I had one for 12 years before giving it the axe). Royals (Blenheim) are marginal producers...depending on chill hours for that winter. I now am growing a "Goldkist". It is my final hope of getting a great producer. Most apricots just really need more chill. goodluck

Bookmark   June 3, 2014 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™