Honeycrisp Apple Tree

als5kids2June 9, 2013

We planted a honey crisp apple tree 6 years ago, the first year it blossomed and had a good amount but not too many apples. Since then it has not blossomed at all, we bought another one about 2 years later. That one has never blossomed. We have a crab apple tree about 30 ft. away and it has bloomed every year. It gets new shoots and has had a lot of growth otherwise. We would like apples from it again, is there something we need to be doing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leexrayshady

honeycrisp are a pita. I have the same issue with them. do you know what rootstock they are on? have you been pruning them or training the branches. whereabouts in mn are you I'm near Brainerd

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 12:23PM
alan haigh

I consider Honeycrisp a pretty easy apple to get flowering, but I'm in southeast NY. Have you pruned the trees at all?

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 4:55PM
mamuang_gw

This similar topic was discussed recently. You may have some ideas after checking out the post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Crisp tree does not bloom

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 5:41PM
northernmn(3/4)

I'm about 25 miles north of Brainerd in MN and my Honeycrisp are my slowest growing apple tree. Part of that may be that it is a zone 4 tree and most of the rest of my trees are zone 3. I'm not getting any dieback, but the growth is SLOW. No blossoms yet.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 6:20PM
oldryder

I started planting apple trees in 2009. 50 trees that year, 5 varieties all on semi-D. 25 the next. 25 the next.

Last year frost got the blossoms on everything except a few plum trees.

This year almost every apple tree over 3 years old, including numerous ones that never had flowers before, are loaded with blossoms. I've been thinning like crazy.

So, for me in central MN, it took 5 years including an extra year due to frost. I have 25 two year old honeycrisp that seem to be doing well but did not flower this year.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 4:37PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

Oldryder-

You're going to be drowning in apples in a few years!

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 5:35PM
oldryder

"You're going to be drowning in apples in a few years! "

T hope so. add 75 cherry trees to the mix. this year also the 1st time bearing for most of them.

My tentative plan is to have a pick your own operation as a retirement hobby/income a couple of years from now. since the trees take so long to start bearing it's taken a lot of advance work,

I figure I've learned about 10% of what I need to know so far with most of the education coming from this forum.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 11:30PM
More Discussions
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Early varieties of blackberry
Hi all, Are there any varieties of blackberry that...
CaraRose
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™