Ripe but Sour peach

lateriserJune 23, 2012

Greetings everyone,

First I would like to thank everyone on here for helping me get this far. The last couple years that I have been using this forum have led to results in the orchard that were far greater than the previous years. Now on to my last hurtle to getting great peaches. One of my peach trees is just now ripening. I can't remember the variety, but I bought it from Lowes. Today, I picked my first peach and it was soft and dripping juicy, but the fruit was completely sour. There was no tartness and the color of the peach was almost entirely red with some yellow. Should I expect the other peaches on the tree to taste the same? Is there some sort of problem with my soil? Can I change anything that would help the other peaches on the tree taste sweeter this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

First, don't panic yet. Sometimes first fruit ripens because of some defection and it did not actually properly ripen. Come back when half the fruit has ripened and let us know what it tastes like.

I don't think sour would be the result of anything you are doing, you can be responsible for bland fruit with a variety of mistakes but sour is different. I think you will find subsequent fruit to be fine.

I don't think Lowe's would be selling anything other than mainstream varieties, all of which are selected partially on the ability to produce sweet peaches.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 3:04PM
lateriser

Thanks, Harvestman. I am going to hold out and see what happens. Hopefully, the rest will come out sweet.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 11:09PM
copingwithclay

Vanilla ice cream was invented to accommodate slices of sour peaches.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™