Bug ID on fruit trees

steve333_gwJune 15, 2013

I think this maybe the same insect as nobueno posted pics of back on 6-9.

I don't have a pic yet, but it looks very much like a small (1/2 the dimension each way) house fly. It is congregating on the ends of branches, one or two to an end, and appears to have its head in close to the branch. Perhaps eating or sucking sap. It does not seem to be eating leaves or buds, at least I have not seen them on green growth or any damage yet. I have seen them on the tips of several fruit trees, apples, plums and cherries. Usually on the trees that are not yet as far along in the bloom.

I'll try to get a pic, but can any suggest what these might be from the description?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

steve:

Flies don't damage leaves or stems. Some do lay eggs in fruit but don't suck sap or eat leaves. I suspect they are just using your tree for rest or some other harmless purpose.

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 12:29PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Have you looked at the Colorado Extension website? If you can't find it there then maybe send them an email and ask for identification. The only thing that looked slightly similar is the Tachinidae.

http://www.nadsdiptera.org/Tach/Gen/tachintr.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Colorado Insects

Bookmark   June 16, 2013 at 8:05PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I've got the same bug. I just noticed this little wasp/fly on my peach leaves. It was scouring the bottoms of the leaves so my guess is that it's a good bug.

Last year when Colorado was on fire we got a lot of strange bugs in Denver that I had never seen before. This year we're on fire again and the same thing is happening.

My guess is that they've been displaced and are finding a new habitat.

If anyone has any extra rain could you please send it this way. It is just flipping hot and dry here. Colorado is such a drama queen. Two days ago it thundered and lightninged and the wind blew like crazy for a couple of hours. Finally it started to rain and it stopped 10 minutes later. What a let-down.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™