How important is direct sunlight in the winter?

brownmolaJune 17, 2013

I have a sideyard raised bed area that I want to put fruit trees in. In the winter, from November to March, there is no direct sunlight that hits the ground due to the shadowing from the house. It gets direct sunlight for 8 to 10 hours of direct sunlight during the spring/summer. I'm in southern CA, so we don't get a lot of winter rain but the ground will definitely stay a little wet for a few weeks after a decent rain. Will getting a wet soil tolerant rootstock be good enough (such as Citation)?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_in_los_osos

I have trees planted in a similar situation due to the shadow cast by an immense rebuild directly to the south. So far it works for me, but my "soil" is basically dune sand so it takes a lot of rain (which, sadly, we don't get) to actually saturate it. I would think that unless your soil is total clay or actually boggy you might be OK.

Another "lemonade from lemons" aspect of this kind of planting situation is that you can get a boost on chill hours. That varies by climate of course. For me, right by the water, if the sun is not reaching the ground, it can get really chilly in the Fall and Winter (sometimes in the Summer too!!!).

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™