What's going on with cherry leaves?

iamzvonko(5)July 20, 2012

We had a couple of hours of really heavy rain after a month with no rain and incredibly hot weather. A few hours after the rain, I noticed this on the leaves of one of my young (just planted about 3 weeks ago) cherry trees.

Anyone have any ideas what it is and whether it's something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

Looks like powdery mildew. THis happened to a few things in june due to the same reasons as down there. You can use a fungicide, or use an organic spray, which turns the leaf surface alkaline, in which the fungus usually cant go in.

IT can also be a sign of bad airflow. This usually happens in plants that are too close together, and or not trimmed properlly. Yes, it happens after you get a hard rain, in which it stays damp for a few days. Certain plants seem to get it all the time, like caregana and lilac.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:32AM
iamzvonko(5)

I would prefer NOT to spray with any chemicals. So I'm going to wait a few days and see if it goes away. It's weird that it only happened on that one tree and only on some of the leaves.

Your comment about airflow made me think but then I realized that this was on the top leaves, not the ones closer to the trunk where things are a bit cramped

Thanks

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 11:43AM
ABz5b

Had this problem last year as well on my cherry leaves this year i sprayed with spetracide 3 in 1 insecticide/fungus fighter. Have sprayed 2 times this year and I have zero problems this year and tree is in great shape.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:28PM
iamzvonko(5)

Thanks. It hasn't gone away but it hasn't gotten worse. I'll keep monitoring it. At least it's nice to know that it worked out OK for someone else.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™