Everbearing raspberry plant

neptune24July 25, 2012

I planted an everbearing raspberry plant last summer. It grew pretty well, but no berries. This year, it had 3-4 berries a month ago, and that's it. Is that normal?

Incidentally, I planted a Taylor raspberry in March, and it's growing like a weed. No berries, but I assume that's OK. Should I trim it at all?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

That's pretty normal to have only a light crop on fall-bearing raspberries, and especially on a new planting. The heavier production is in the autumn on the primocanes, with only lighter production on most varieties the following season on floricanes.

As far as trimming goes, only if needed for size control or if you want to trim out the growing tip to promote branching.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:27AM
neptune24

Thanks, denninmi. I have a couple of questions:

1) Everbearing = fall-bearing?

2) Do everbearing raspberries have both "primocanes" and "floricanes" (whatever those are)? :)

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 2:46AM
sportsman1

Primocanes are this years green growth.Next year they will be hard and brown and called Floricanes.

Everbearing raspberries have fruit on the top half of the primocanes this year and bottom half on the floricanes next summer.Basically your harvest is split in half.

Summer bearing raspberries have all their fruit on the floricanes next year.

When the floricanes are finished in the summer......they need to be pruned out.Their fruiting is over.Leave the primocanes standing if you want fruit next summer.

Wait until next summer to prune back the floricanes.they will only leaf out up to where the fruit was the preceeding summer.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 10:06PM
neptune24

Thanks for your help, sportsman1.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 3:44AM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Has anyone elses asian pear (20th century) come out of dormancy?
Everything else is going gangbusters but there isn't...
fireballsocal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™