Avocado leaves turning brown

phantomofthenightJuly 28, 2014

Over the weekend I noticed my dwarf Hashimoto avocado's leaves are turning brown and are starting to drop.

I'm not sure if it is because of frost damage, fungus or the surrounding mulch? Is it worth digging it up and putting it in a large to pot to rehabilitate it?

The plant is 2 years old and hasn't grown much despite being regularly fertilised.

The soil is volcanic with a couple of layers of mulch on it and the tree has morning sun and afternoon shade.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phantomofthenight

This is my other dwarf Hass avocado which is 1.5m away from the damaged Hashimoto.

The tree has some insect damage but is in much better condition than the other tree.

Anything advice you have would be much appreciated.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:44AM
phantomofthenight

Still looking for help...

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:30PM
econ0003(10a CA / 8b CA)

Avocados tend to get ragged looking when the weather is cold. They also don't like wet and cold roots. It makes them vulnerable to root rot. I wouldn't water them in the cold winter unless the soil completely drys out.

I wouldn't fertilize them at all unless they are putting on a lot of new growth during the growing season. They are very sensitive to salt accumulation in the soil.

My guess would be that it is suffering from the cold weather and/or salt accumulation from the information you gave.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™