What are these spots on my apples?

bart1(6/7 Northern VA)July 6, 2009

Some of my young apple trees are finally producing apples and one tree in particular has apples covered in small black spots. The following pictures show this. What am I dealing with here?

Thanks!

Bart

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoseman

You have Scab on the leaves and fruit. At this stage I do not believe there is much you can do. Maybe spray would protect any leaves that may not be infected so the tree may not become defoliated.

I have it on many of my peaches as I was not able to put enough fungicide on my tress and keep it on there. There was too much rain and when it wasn't washing off my spray it was just too damp for too long.

Bookmark   July 6, 2009 at 6:03PM
bart1(6/7 Northern VA)

Thanks hoseman!!

This is a new one for me. I've been concentrating on spreading, pruning and spraying for bugs until now, but I guess I have to recalibrate for scab next year.

Thanks again for the ID.

Bart

Bookmark   July 7, 2009 at 6:04AM
henryr

I don't think that's scab. Scab is rusty looking raised areas on your apple that don't penetrate into the flesh. I bet the spots on your apple go into trails in the flesh. This is maggot or coddling moth. Just have to spray regular to control it. I've had lots of it on my trees until I started a regular spray regimen.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™