Did the birds think my step-ladder was a person?

hannah9880(5b)July 14, 2013

We have just harvested and pitted some 20 quarts of cherries from our Balaton cherry. All without using netting! In 2011 we had a bumper crop, netted the tree, went away on vacation for a few days only to find that birds had found a way into the netting. This year, we picked some before we left for vacation and left the step-ladder in place. We were able to pick another 4 quarts when we got back. There was, however, a poor quality North Star cherry nearby that the birds could easily access. The Balaton is quite leafy beyond the ripe cherries, so perhaps that kept the birds somewhat away.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowajer

I bet so. The birds stay away from my trees a bit when I drag out the ladders, but after a while they get used to them and I'll see them sitting on the top of my 8' ladder right next to my rock-filled plastic owl.

I live in the country so I can put a radio in the tree and have it blasting, but even then they'll swoop in for a short while sometimes.

I don't see as many birds this year though, and I even wondered if last years drought had them looking for a moisture anywhere they could find it - like my cherries!

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™