Hansen Chrry Bushes

charlieboringJuly 1, 2013

This spring I planted two Hansen cherry bushes. Has anyone tried these? I am in zone 7. How do they taste? I understand that they produce a little fruit the second year; is that true?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
guatejo

I planted a few of these years ago. I did not care for the taste but the plant itself was very pretty in the spring. Unfortunately I found out from these that I cannot grow any cherry related plant because of a fungus problem. I would grow them again if I could but only for the spring flowers.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:58AM
KG_in_CT

I have a few and I like them. They have nice flowers and it stays small and pretty dense growing. They cherries are not going to taste like the store bought sweet cherries but I eat them and they are not too bad.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:08AM
fabaceae_native

Hansen's bush cherry is supposedly a selected form of the native wild Sand Cherry, Prunus besseyi, but most people agree that simply Hansen's = Sand Cherry.

So just realize that what you have is essentially just a wild native shrub and not a cultivated fruiting plant like sour or sweet cherries. That said, this species is incredibly tough, drought tolerant, precocious, productive, a good wildlife plant, and handsome as well.

The fruit is not the best for fresh eating, but wonderful for pretty much any kind of processing, and is much bigger than just about any other native cherry.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™