Hay causing stress on blueberry bushes?

brandond(6)July 2, 2012

I have posted here explaining frustration towards having problems with blueberry bushes. I believe part of the problem I have had is I mulched with hay a couple weeks ago around some of my rows of bushes. With all of the 100 degree days we have had it has caused very hot temps where the hay was placed. I believe it has created an oven affect in that it has scorched the leaves on my smallest and most recent plantings. I was very sudden and without much warning that this damage took place. I have dealt with ph probmes before and they dont kill plants overnight. They were also properly watered so Im thinking the heat from the hay mulch is the culpret. In the meantime I took my garden hose and soaked the hay. Its helped already.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

The mulch should have the effect of insulating the soil from the heat of the sun, and reducing the evaporation from the soil. Here we try and plant blueberries where they don't get all day summer sun. Al

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:04AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Last thursday it was 96 degrees and my potted plants were dry. I watered them at 2 in the afternoon and the next day I noticed the partially browned leaves. From the tip back. And only on my elliott.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™