Dealing with Sooty Blotch and Flyspeck

speedster1July 21, 2014

My dad has a couple of apple trees and every year the apples develop sooty blotch and fly speck. I know these are surface fungi and aren't supposed to effect the quality of the fruit but it's not appetizing. Right now the apples growing on the trees look nice and show no signs of SBFS but like every other year we expect to see it soon. We've never sprayed anything on these trees so this year we want to spray some type of fungicide to see if we can improve the apple harvest.

Are the fungicide products at local big box stores acceptable for this and if so what is the best method of spraying the tree? Should we buy a concentrate and use it in a pump style sprayer? Do we spray each individual fruit or the entire tree? How often do we apply?

The trees have been neglected and need major pruning which I'm sure is a large reason as to why the fruits develop SBFS (lack of light penetration). We plan to prune the trees and do some top working this winter but for now we have to deal with what we have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alan haigh

Captan is good, Mancozeb might be better.

Usually requires application at least every 2 weeks, except in dry periods.

Bookmark   July 21, 2014 at 9:55AM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™