Grafting to young (small) rootstock?

marknmtJuly 31, 2013

Help please!

I have a couple of Marianna rootstocks that I would like to graft to and I don't know if they are mature enough. I'd be budding or chipping to a piece about 3/16" in diameter if that. It's this year's growth and I'm not sure if it's hard enough, and I know the bark will be very thin.

Tips and advice welcome.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
franktank232(z5 WI)

Just be very careful :) i've budded some really skinny wood before and its very easy to cut right through with a sharp knife...a lot of time when you tape the bud (wrap it)..you'll snap the whole thing.... i had that happen a lot int he past...one reason that thicker wood is a lot more forgiving...but...its still doable. You still have a few weeks here to do it...so you could wait for that wood to thicken up a little. I haven't done any budding yet, but plan on it any day here.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:03AM
marknmt

Thanks Frank. I think I'll wait about three weeks and give it a go. I can see how you might easily snap the little beasties. Sharp knife and a light touch.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:42AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I've T budded stone fruit on some really small wood. No problem with snapping anything. The best tip is the wood has to be taken out of the bud. If not the sharp radius of the rootstock stem won't allow the bud to fit under the bark flaps. To get the wood out the bark has to be slipping really well on scion. And the root needs very good slip also.

It's also necessary on a small root that the diameter of scion wood be no bigger than that of the root. Even with wood out the scion bud can get too bulky to fit under bark flaps if it's too big diameter.

Get the smaller budding rubbers. They are easier to tie without breaking anything. It really only takes a couple wraps above and a couple below. I wrap up really well but less will work.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 12:19

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 11:19AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I was just grafting to some small shoots this morning, one variety is failing and I am moving it to shoots coming out of a neighboring tree I topped this spring to remove the variety. As long as the budwood is small its easy to graft to small shoots.

Scott

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Sponsored Products
Little Tikes Sort n Store Toy Chest - Primary Colors - 606540
$81.21 | Hayneedle
Furniture of America Joan Wesley Contemporary Full Size Bed
Overstock.com
Jamie Young Longshan Dark Gray Black Metal Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Farberware Bakeware 3-piece Cookie Pan Set
Overstock.com
Jelly Belly Candy Company Vending Machine
FRONTGATE