Watermelon end rot

rayrose(8)July 8, 2008

I've got several small football sized Jubilee's that are starting to rot on the ends. What's causing this, and how do I stop it or prevent it. Thanks

Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Ray:

Is it rot or is the end opposite the stem shiveling up? If the later it is lack of full pollination. At least that's my thought. This happens to a few of my melons most yrs. If you can help the honeybees that would be good. Or at least don't spray anything that will kill them.

I've heard of blossom end rot. But think that is a tomato problem. Maybe someone else can help.

The Fruitnut

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 9:52AM
rayrose(8)

The end opposite the stem is turning black and appears to be rotting.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 11:06AM
letsski

I think you have blossom end rot. Below is a link that might be helpful. I've had this problem with my tomatoes and Zucchini.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom end Rot

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 1:56PM
jellyman(6/7VA)

Ray:

I agree with letsski that you have blossom end rot on your melons. I tend to apply large amounts of stable manure to my garden and melon beds, so every spring I spread a couple 40 lg. bags of pelletized lime on the whole works to compensate and keep the Ph from getting too low. The availability of calcium is especially good for crops like tomatoes and melons in my opinion. I never see blossom end rot on either tomatoes or melons.

I also grow these crops on black plastic, which helps retain moisture and smooth out variations in moisture levels due to rainfall. I seldom, if ever, have to water my melons or tomatoes, even in dry spells of two weeks or more. And there are practically no weeds in the areas around the plants.

If you only have a couple of affected melons, just cut them off and chuck them in the compost pile. Unless it starts to affect more than half the melons, the BER problem is not so bad.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 2:31PM
rayrose(8)

I think it's more a problem of irregular watering. We've been having a severe drought all summer, and I guess I may
have overcompensated with watering. Also, we've all of a sudden had several downpours the last few days. All of the melons were direct seeded into aged horse manure, topsoil, and some 10-10-10, and black plastic, but the plastic made it hard to water, so I removed it. Next year, I'm going to use the water permeable black plastic, and keep it down the whole season, and I'll try some lime over the winter.
I wonder why it's only affected 2 plants out of 26.
Thanks Guys
Ray

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 3:28PM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

instead of using permeable plastic, put a soaker hose UNDER the plastic or use drip right at the plant. my father in law uses black plastic and runs his soakers under it. he has some of the biggest and best melons around.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™