I don't think this is a Summit muscadine

poolecw(Georgia 7b)July 15, 2014

In spring of 2013, I ordered several Summit muscadines from Ty Ty Nursery (mistake, I know). Over that summer and this summer, they have developed very vigorously and I have been pleased. This year, I got grapes and have watched them develop throughout the summer. They are ripening now and I am starting to think that these are NOT Summit muscadines.

I'm going to attach a couple of pictures. Can any grape experts confirm my theory? If these are not muscadines, I wonder what they are.

Here are the characteristics from that I've seen so far:

1. Vine is very vigorous in growth.
2. Leaves are in jagged in shape and rather large.
3. I believed it pollinated itsef (my only male muscadine died early this year before flowering)
4. Grape pods contain at least 30 grapes per pod.
5. Grapes are really small, maybe 1/2" in diameter
6. Grapes contain seeds
7. Grape skin is very thin and is edible
8. Color has turned to almost purple
9. Seems to be almost ripe in middle of July

1. Taste as of mid July is rather tart.

I'm at a loss. I will be upset if these are not summit muscadines (or any muscadine variety for that matter). By looking at TyTy's grape offerings, I am starting to think that these are Zinfadel graps. I sure hope not! I am not looking forward to digging these up and starting over. That would set me back a couple of years.

What say the experts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kingwood(9)

I grow @8 varieties of muscadines. Those are not summit.....they look like bunch grapes. Hope they are a good grape.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 3:31PM
RobThomas

Well, they certainly aren't muscadines. Coming from tyty, who knows. Probably just concord.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 5:09PM
garymc(7 S.E.Mo)

I have 13 varieties of muscadines. Those are not muscadines. Too bad you had to find out the hard way. I had to learn that way with Willis. I bought plants that were guaranteed. They were bare root, or no root in my observation. I knew they had no chance, but the guarantee required giving them a year and then sending back the roots. I got the same thing for replacements. At that point it occurred to me that I'd be dead before I ever saw any fruit (or even a live tree.) So I quit fooling with them and wrote it off as a lesson learned.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 1:38AM
poolecw(Georgia 7b)

Thanks garymn. Yeah, its ashame what happened. I didn't know how bad of a reputation Ty Ty nusery had until after I had ordered. When I was a kid growing up in south GA, Ty Ty was the "go to place".

As for your 13 varieties, do you have a favorite? I"m looking to replace these unknown vines. I already have Noble and Carlos and two other unknown muscadine varieties that my grandpa propagated and gave to me. Since these were originally supposed to be Summits, I'll probably replace them with a bronze muscadine variety. I may try the Darlene variety from Isons.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 8:40AM
RobThomas

poolecw, click the link below for lots of muscadine info. Click on the cultivar name for even more info.

Darlene is supposed to be one of the best bronze varieties. For a black muscadine, Black Beauty is supposed to be very good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:48AM
BKG1(8a)

I love Darlene and black beauty. They are both females so you will need a pollinator.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:07PM
muscadines978(7, Dalton, Ga.)

They are no way Summit Muscadines. Summit when ripe are RED. You got screwed by TY TY as we all have. What you have is a bunch grape.
I have plenty of Summit available.
Hans
www.MuscadinesAndMore.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Muscadines And More

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:36AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Summit Bronze muscadine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ripe color Summit

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:14AM
More Discussions
stark bros apricot with pits that taste like almonds
Does anyone have experience with this apricot variety? http://www.starkbros.com/products/fruit-trees/apricot-trees/stark-sweetheart-apricot It...
Bushwhacker Blood
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
raspberries
Hello F&O people, I wonder if you could help me...
eatsivy
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
Fahey Scion List
Wondering if someone had the ability to and time to...
kniles38
Sponsored Products
Early Dawn Artwork
Grandin Road
Fire Bucket by Menu
$64.95 | Lumens
Modern Square White Single Holle Ceramic Pedestal Sink
Overstock.com
Crane White Warm Mist Humidifier - EE-5200W
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Fresca Nano Black Modern Bathroom Vanity with Medicine Cabinet
Modern Bathroom
Sea Gull Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Cape May Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Burled I
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™