Peach tree graft failure

JazenJuly 7, 2012

Hi all. I tried grafting a peach scion to Bailey rootstock this year, started a bit later and they seemed to fail. I did use a lot of grafting wax and I am wondering if this caused the failure? I used a cleft graft and taped it after smothering the graft with wax.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am going to try again with new scions.

Thanks

Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Jason, peaches are much harder to graft than most other fruits. They are picky in many dimensions so it can be hard to pinpoint the failure. You need temps to be highs in the 75-85F range, they don't like it too hot or too cold. Wrap in alu foil to help even out the temps (shiny side out). Grafting wax is usually OK but if you are not careful you can get it in the graft by mistake. I use parafilm to avoid this. You also need to completely seal the scion, either put grafting wax all over it or use parafilm or doc farewells (I use the latter). Sealing keeps it from drying out, it can take longer to get a take and you don't want it drying out while its mid-process. Lastly do 3-4 of each variety to increase the odds. Its easier to do multiple grafts on the same big stock if you use bark grafts - I can get 4-6 on one stock.

Scott

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 6:56PM
Jazen

Scott
Thanks for the reply. I definitely got way to much grafting wax in the graft. I also taped around the wax, so it being +90 here in Illinois, I am sure it seeped into the graft. I will try your suggestions in the second attempt. What size scion should I be using?
Again, many thanks
Jason

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 7:17PM
Jazen

Scott
Thanks for the reply. I definitely got way to much grafting wax in the graft. I also taped around the wax, so it being +90 here in Illinois, I am sure it seeped into the graft. I will try your suggestions in the second attempt. What size scion should I be using?
Again, many thanks
Jason

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™