Watering in Summer

Jerseymec(6b)July 20, 2013

Hello,
When I bought my fruit trees I was told to water them once a week ( atleast 5G) and thats it. But lately it has been really hot and I am wondering if you guys think I should water more than once a week. The trees seem to be ok but they look like they are droopy with the heat.

Any Suggestions?
Thanks,
Charles.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BernardA

You should water at evening or after sunset more than once a week.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 1:33PM
ericwi

I water blueberry shrubs twice a week when there is a serious drought. If you think the tree looks droopy, I would go ahead and water it as needed. In a drought, water every three days might be the way to go. Some soils are very high in clay, and don't drain well. How well does your soil drain?

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 2:37PM
alan haigh

The leaves can droop in intense heat even when soil is moist. Don't read the tree, read the soil. You can purchase a soil meter or use your hands to determine moisture level of soil.

If you are establishing the tree you shouldn't wait until the tree begins to wilt from lack of water to give it a good soaking to get best growth. Once a week should be more than frequent enough for a tree not competing with weeds or nearby trees.

I have seen people just leave a hose and slowly water the base of trees and only wet a very small area. You need to know that you've soaked the entire root ball and the area where new roots are going to grow. This will probably take a great deal more than 5 gallons but if it's done the tree shouldn't wilt for a couple of weeks- even in driest weather. A concave area under the tree is all but necessary if you are doing it by hand.

Mulch is extremely helpful for establishing trees. I have a nursery in SE NY with no irrigation at all (for in-ground trees). Trees haven't starting wilting yet, but if we don't get a good rain soon, they will. Every tree has a small circle of mulch because I don't use herbicide. I've never lost trees to drought.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:10PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I flood the area around my apple trees...its just been way too dry this month (.29 inches of rain in July) and of course its been hot and sunny (lots of 90Fs).. I've probably watered them 2x this month.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™