Haraldred and Candy Crisp Apple

ForeverRecycleReuse(MN 4b)July 10, 2013

I planted a Haraldred apple tree this Spring and need a second tree for cross-pollination. If possible, I would like to have an apple tree for cooking purposes and the other for fresh eating. Will a Candy Crisp be a good pollinator for the Haraldred? The other fresh eating apple that I am considering is the Honeycrisp.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curtis(5)

My experience with honeycrisp and Haralred is that the Haralred is a great tree that grows strong and ignores problems, while the Honeycrisp gets beat up with cedar rust and Japanese beetles and just barely survived if first few years. The HC has never had a bloom on it and now is 6 years old. I bought a fireside to pollinate the Haralred. I will have a decent crop off the haralred this year. the Fireside still too small to leave the fruit on it, but it blooms well.

However, The HC is doing much better this year finally. Still rust and beetles but the tree is strong enough to push through, so hoping for blooms next year.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ForeverRecycleReuse(MN 4b)

That has been my hesitation with the Honeycrisp. Though it is a great tasting apple, I have heard from many people experiencing challenges with growing it.

I haven't really heard much about the CandyCrisp apple but I don't know of anyone trying to grow it either...

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
what are signs that a cleft graft has failed and how soon to know?
Also, when grafting onto rootstock, how high up do...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™