My neighbors must think I'm insane

CaraRoseJuly 22, 2014

So my attempt at saving my blackberries from SWD this year is to do this--

To ever berry cluster. For once I'm thankful I only have three blackberry plants. LOL

I don't know for sure if it'll work or even if that fabric is fine enough. Summer weight fabric from gardeners.com. But desperate times and all that though... I want my blackberries!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I think it will work! keep us updated. Looks like something one could use to save seeds, make sure they self pollinate and not get pollen from other flowers.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 11:22AM
ltilton

I do that with trees susceptible to the Japanese beetles.

On one episode of the Homeland show, I noticed entire trees netted against some pest, possibly periodic cicadas. So people have seen this kind of thing before.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:19PM
lkz5ia

At first there is an ick factor, but after awhile karma comes along and I eat them now , because those ripe berries are the best tasting, whether maggot infested or not.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:47PM
ericwi

Good luck with your method of stopping SWD. We had them in our raspberries last summer, and I cut the patch down when the infestation got severe, to stop them from reproducing. Then we had a very cold and long winter, and this year, so far, no SWD in the raspberry patch! I am keeping my fingers crossed...

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 12:50PM
Michael

Don't worry about the neighbors, several years ago I put sockies on all of my peaches and it rained shortly thereafter making the sockies hang down. It wasn't long before I heard it, "your tree looks like it has condoms all over it". Well, from a distance the tree did look that way, didn't other me a bit. The peaches filled up the sockies in time.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™