fire blight question

windfall_rob(vt4)July 29, 2013

I will try to get an image up later today, but I have a tree showing a widespread rapid wilting and browning out of leaves. The damage is spread evenly throughout the canopy not associated with anyparticular limbs or branches.

What is odd about it (to me) is that by in large the leaves that are effected are those growing right around the terminal bud scar from the beginning of this season. The rest of the shoot appears healthy....so the oldest leaves only.

No classic shepard crooks

Can fireblight show this way? I had always thought infection of small shoots would rapidly wilt the entire tip.

Also this has been present for about 2 weeks (possibly more) and does not appear to be spreading or showing new leaves wilting out.

We had a long stretch of very wet weather followed by a week of intense heat a while back. This tree is in a marginal soil location and could well have been suffering from wet feet this year. I am wondering if the combo of water logged soils and then heat stress might be accounting for the damage.

To further complicate things, I have seen damage similar to this after high heat before. but it has always been caused from twigs infested with OFM and presumably not able to keep up with the required water loads in the heat.

This tree definitely got hit hard by OFM this year, but When I inspect the present damage I am not finding a correlation to the wilting and OFM injury.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

What species? Usually OFM and FB don't affect same species do they? FB on pome fruits, OFM on stone fruits, right?

Sounds more like water damage.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 12:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windfall_rob(vt4)

The tree is a KIngston Black apple which is supposedly highly susceptible to Fireblight.

I am hoping water damage is the issue. Fireblight has never been present in our orchard in years past, But I had something a lot like fireblight cankers on a harrwow sweet pear this spring that got pruned out...so my "radar" for it has been turned up.

I wish the OFM would leave the apples alone...I see no fruit damage from them, but we get 2 rounds of egg laying in the growing tips, the more significant in the late spring.

All our apples get hit to varying extent, but I have not seen the damage in the pears. It's become a growing problem over the last 3-4 years. I have tried to keep up by just pruning out flagging tips, but it has clearly not been enough.

I know Scott has had some success with mating disruption and I need to look into that.
I think if I could get the timing just right on Bt or spinosad I could hopefully still get things reined in. Barring that my options are limited if continuing to go the organic route.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Best tasting pawpaw varieties
I would love to hear from others who have tasted different...
shane11
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Apple Tree Help - Thank you!
Hello, I have four different varieties of small (starting...
kailunkat
Sponsored Products
Limoges Dakota Curved Bath Bar by Justice Design Group
$198.00 | Lumens
Pasadena Outdoor Sofa, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Alfred Shaheen Multi 5 ft. x 7 ft.
Home Depot
Chiminea Outdoor Wall Sconce No. 577213 by Savoy House
$134.00 | Lumens
Revive Anthracite Vertical Designer Radiator Heater 63 x 14 & Valves
Hudson Reed
AICO Furniture - Essex Manor Buffet in Deep English Tea - 76006N-57
Great Furniture Deal
Upton Home FireGlo Fuel (Set of 24)
Overstock.com
West Virginia Mountaineers 20-Oz. Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™