trouble with strawberry transplants

CarternKYJuly 7, 2012

Strawberries went on sale at Lowe's a few weeks ago so I bought some for really cheap. Some of them were small and looked a little rough (dead leaves). I planted them and they aren't doing well (I know you're supposed to plant in the spring/fall typically).

I put straw mulch around them today but they didn't have any mulch for about two weeks. Have the plants gone dormant from the heat by chance or are they dying? It's getting up to 95-100 here every day. Should I put row cover over them or would that heat the ground up too much? Basically I need advice on getting them through the heat and dry spell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

Just keep them really well watered as they are taking root. You probably won't see much vegetative growth happening for a while, but they should be ok. They are pretty hardy plants and will multiply like crazy once they get established. Giving them some temporary shade would be a good idea, even if it's just an umbrella or something, shading them from the hot afternoon sun would be best. Also, you made sure not to bury the crowns right?

Once they get rooted well, give them some fertilizer, they are fairly heavy feeders.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 12:14PM
CarternKY

Thanks for your advice. Most of the crowns are set about right. I was moving quickly and a few crowns may be slightly above the ground. I mulched these with compost when I realized my mistake so I'm hoping they'll be ok. At this point I doubt it would be worth digging up to adjust.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:14PM
howelbama(7 NJ)

Yeah, I wouldn't dig them back up, a bit too high is probably better than too deep.

Good luck

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 1:29PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™