Each grape is small

frdnicholas(Albuquerque NM)July 29, 2014

I have grape vines that are 10 years old. THey have been producing long bunches of grapes for years. Even though the bunch is long, with plenty of grapes on each bunch, the individual grapes themselves are so small. These are seedless green grapes. Is this a function of the type of grape or can I do anything to help it produce larger grapes?
I add a little packaged steer manure in the fall and water it in. I have added compost in certain years, sometimes in the spring and sometimes in the fall. When I say small I mean an eighth to a quarter of an inch or so. I would be most grateful for any help. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emegar

Have you tried thinning the fruit? Reducing the number and size of bunches while the fruit is small should result in plumper grapes.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That sounds like Thompson seedless but could be a similar green grape. Commercially they treat with gibberellic acid during bloom to thin the berries and later to plump up the remainder. They also girdle the vine. Not everyone's cup of tea.

I pinch off the long tips on clusters but that may not make the remaining berries much bigger.

There are now seedless table grapes that naturally have bigger berries. The green grape that matures in August like Thompson with bigger berries is Princess. My favorite, Summer Royal, matures a little earlier and has even bigger berries.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™