Pawpaw (Asimina triloba) cultivar ripening sequence

ben773(5a)July 18, 2014

I would like to hear about the ripening order of various Pawpaw cultivars from different regions of the country. This will hopefully help us select the best pawpaw cultivars for growers of northern regions with short growing season. It can also help extrapolate ripening order of pawpaw cultivars for anyone in the country.
For me in northern Illinois (north of Chicago, south of the Illinois-Wisconsin border, about 1 mile east of Lake Michigan), ripening order of my pawpaw varieties is as follows (based on 2013):
My first Shenandoah ripened in mid-October and the last one ripened around late October.
My first Sunflower ripened around late October and the last one ripened around middle November (after a frost).
Overleese was between the two.
So, for me, based on the 3 cultivars that fruited last year, the ripening order is Shenandoah (early), Overleese (mid) and Sunflower (late).
My other varieties, KSU-Atwood, Mango, NC-1, Susquehanna and Wabash are not fruit bearing size yet. I�ll provide a report later when they come into production.
Based on reports elsewhere in the forum, cultivar like Summer Delight seems to be a good one to plant here in northern Illinois.
Please report your experience here. Do state where you are, like SE Missouri etc if you do not want to divulge your hometown.
Ben in Beach Park, IL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skyjs(z8 OR, USA)

We have only ripened unnamed seedlings. The first ripened here in PNW about Sept 7, The second and third both ripened about October 5.
John S
PDX OR

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:02PM
alexander3_gw(6 Pennsylvania)

Neal Peterson said that the ripening order of his three original releases is Rappahanock, Shenandoah, Susquehanna.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 9:38PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I found an old email from Neil from 2009. When I asked which ripened soonest he replied: "Of mine, earliest are Allegheny and Shenandoah. Of others, I recommend Pennsylvania Golden .... in other aspects its quality is not as good as mine."

I keep trying with pawpaw but I've failed so many times I'm thinking of just buying some seedlings to figure out how to keep them alive. I do have one rootstock that keeps coming back from the ground every year and I'd like to graft to it one day. I just want to taste one for once.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:40AM
shane11

I live in Winston-Salem, NC and among the pawpaws I have growing and fruiting so far, overleese, mango, rappahannock, and pa golden are among the earliest to ripen. Sunflower and prolific are the latest. I usually get fruit off the same tree over a 3 to 4 week period starting the 1st to middle of August. I usually get a couple fruits that ripen at the end of July but it depends on the season. Most all of the sunflowers are gone by mid September - usually. Sunflower is a noticibly later ripening variety. I have not noticed a particular variety to be the earliest - some years mango is my first ripe fruit, other years it will be overleese and in others pa golden. There is not a lot of difference here.

Bookmark   January 14, 2015 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™