Raspberry cane problems

anitaw(7 GA)July 3, 2013

I have everbearing raspberries that I cut to the ground last winter. This year I have a huge bear spot with no canes at all. About 1/2 of my canes are 2-3 feet tall, but many are only about 12 inches high and already making fruit. I just checked the ph in 9 different areas of my patch. It seems that the taller canes have a ph between 6.5 and 7.0. The bear spots are at 6.0. I use 10-10-10 fertilizer on them in the spring. They are not mulched. I keep reading about canes growing to 6 feet tall. Why are my canes so short and why am I missing canes from the bare spots? Help. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, Anita

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curtis(5)

Is this an old bush? I don't know much about chemical use, except it seems many people come here for help who have harmed their plants with too much or wrong timing.

my raspberries are Heritage. I put a little compost on top of the ground every year or two and that is it. I have never checked the PH or done a soil test and my bush is a berry making machine. I have to dig out canes each spring to keep it in check.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

We have Heritage everbearing red raspberries, and our canes are up to 4-6 feet now. They are just beginning to bear ripe fruit, flowering began a few weeks ago. The patch is in heavy clay soil, that gets morning sun, and afternoon shade. I mulch the patch with shredded tree leaves in the fall, to a depth of about 6 inches. I rarely apply fertilizer, and only apply water during a drought. Raspberries grow wild on the Korean peninsula, where it gets pretty cold in the winter. They seem to thrive in our local soil and climate. Beyond that, I don't know why they grow well in our yard.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 1:03PM
More Discussions
Wisconsin honeyberry/haskap growers?
I'm combining the two as it seems with continued breeding...
wisconsitom
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Grafting sweet cherries in cold country
I'm interested in finding some sweet cherries that...
huntertshouse
Jujube hardiness zones
According to Willisorchards.com the Li and Lang Jujube...
garprob1
Beach Plum / Prunus Maritima Cultivation Questions
Hello all! I scarified a handful of seeds from beach...
liamkelly Zone 6b Rhode Island / 5b Massachusetts
Sponsored Products
Rachael Ray 'Round and Square' 4-piece Blue Raspberry Pasta Bowl Set
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Moreau Raspberry 5' x 8'
Home Depot
Area Rug: Ringmaster Pewter 7' 10" x 10'
Home Depot
Ivory & Raspberry Diamond Throw Set
$19.99 | zulily
Curl Bronze Four-Light Bath Light with Raspberry Crystal Glass Shade
$352.00 | Bellacor
Raspberry Shaggy Raggy Cotton Jersey Rug (4' Round)
Overstock.com
Darya Rugs Ziegler, Raspberry, 6'0" x 8'6" M1783-379
Darya Rugs
Bow Dark Granite Pendant with 16-Inch Raspberry Crystal Glass
$235.40 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™