Simple question and I hope there is a simple answer

2010champsbcsJuly 29, 2014

When does the blackberry cane borer go into the cane and cause the large swollen knots? Does the knot appear immediately after the bores goes into the cane or is there a delayed reaction? I live East of Birmingham (7b). My Natches was almost a total loss this year but somehow the Triple Crown still managed a decent crop even with borer damage. All responses are welcome even the less than favorable ones. Thanks, Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jtburton

According the linked article, late July or August in Northern Indiana. I would move that back about 2 weeks for your climate to early-to-mid July. I didn't notice them in my berry patch until I was removing canes in late winter this year. Cane borers impacted my trailing blackberries the worst and some damage to triple crown. The TC damage was more difficult to notice due less pronounced swelling from the galls since the canes were thicker. I finally noticed the TC damage early summer when the canes, with green fruit, simply wilted and died. I removed and disposed of the infected canes and treated the trailing blackberries with a systemic pesticide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red-necked Cane Borer in Blackberries

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2010champsbcs

JT. Thanks for your post. Last year I didn't notice any borer damage and as a result I picked a few gallons of blackberries. I had high hopes of maximum production this year but thanks to all the cane damage I lost about 80% of the crop. As of right now I have not seen any new damage. I am trying to grow organically so I have attempted to avoid sprays when possible. Does anyone know if the borers can be controlled with a systemic spray after the berries have been picked? If a systemic spray is used how long does it stay in the plant?

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Sponsored Products
Homeware Tangerine II Accent Pillows - Set of 2 - HWP011-18-124TAN
$79.00 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Discoveries Round Entry Table - ACF-ENT-SUMR-05
Great Furniture Deal
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Blanc 6 Piece King Wing Mansion Bedroom...
Great Furniture Deal
'Without Question' Wall Art
$6.99 | zulily
Wood and Fabric Ottoman - Set of 3 - Beige - 35018
$379.99 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Melange Leather/Fabric Wood Trim Tufted...
Great Furniture Deal
Icicle Blue Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$182.16 | Bellacor
Scenic Lane Series 7 cu ft. Wheelbarrow - SL7-1
$149.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™