Bermuda grass

ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)July 6, 2013

I have a major problem with Bermuda grass in the orchard. Are there any herbicides I can use that will kill the Bermuda without damaging my fruit trees?

I have tried mulching with no success.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Bermuda is best killed when storing energy that early September in my zone with roundup sprayed on plant that time year 100% kill of plant, but their seed for next year crop so September again following year. Take me about three years and gone.
Spraying other times year kill 80 90 % it come back thin. I don't no right time for your zone my zone 8b.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 1:05PM
meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation

I use Grass B Gone (0.48% Fluazifop-P-Butyl), but it's still important not to get it on the trees. If there is a chance a tiny bit might get on them, I figure this product is safer for the health of the plant that way, in any case. It's not designed to be used with edible crops, though.

Edit: I use it around the trees only. It's more expensive than the total-kill products! ;)

This post was edited by meredith_e on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 18:22

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 6:19PM
RPost78(8A)

How big is the orchard? I have Bermuda grass for my front lawn and when it gets into my planters I pull it and use a weed eater. Is the orchard something you can mow? If you cut it really low it may work to kill it without herbicides. Keep in mind that Bermuda grass is pretty tough. Is it possible to use the Bermuda to your advantage? It requires very little water and would likely keep the moisture in the soil. It's also easy to manicure.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 1:02PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

There are selective grass killers that don't harm broadleaf plants. I've used them around my trees. Around here the only Bermuda that holds moisture in the soil is dead Bermuda after being sprayed. When green it's deep rooted and sucks the soil dry.

Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 7:03PM
ahajmano(sunset 23, Mission Viejo CA)

It's on A terraced hillsid, and its choking my new fruit trees. Can't mow it, and pulling by hand has proven futile. I will try a grass selective herb.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 3:13AM
charlieboring

Use a weed/grass control such as weed-be-gone and follow the instructions on the container. Apply it on a non-windy day by holding the nozzle low so that it only covers the bermuda and does not spray onto your trees. Immediately around the trees use a hoe and dig the bermuda out to a distance of about 1 foot. It is good for a few months and then will need another application. After a few applications it will stay gone unless nearby bermuda seeds blow onto your orchard.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 7:20AM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™