Your experience with BrazelBerrie Raspberry Shortcake

maritad(z6b Toronto)July 24, 2013

Dwarf floricane raspberry "Raspberry Shortcake" is a new release in North America; and will take some time to make its way across Canada. I am curious as to whether it is worth buying next year (it sold out in Toronto fairly quickly). How is it doing so far, this season?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
serge94501

I've had one for 4 months or so in a container. It grows well enough although the amount of dead leaves/canes in the interior is more than I expected - lots of clearing out to do. New growth keeps the plant the same size. Berry production has been very low so far...might have to acidify the soil? All in all a pretty stout plant.

Bookmark   July 24, 2013 at 8:03PM
lucky_p

I've been a cooperating trialist, in the past, for the folks at Fall Creek Nursery, who developed the 'BrazelBerry' varieties, and understand the years of investment in bringing forward a new variety of fruiting plants... but there is NO way in lleh that I'm gonna pay $30-$50 for a raspberry or blueberry plant; especially not a 'dwarf' one.
$3-$5, sure - but $30+? Nope, not gonna do it.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 8:25AM
HeyJude2012(10b/24 San Diego)

I bought one and ended up taking it back. It grew beautiful big berries that had a very blah taste almost sour. My other raspberries taste wonderful so I don't think it was anything I did or didn't do correctly. It was a beautiful bush.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 6:41PM
More Discussions
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™