Bees

mrsg47(7)July 9, 2012

Ok the summer season has been hot, the winter warm and spring was warm as well (except for a few days of unexpected freeze). I have tons of bumblebees this summer and mason bees. I have not seen a single honey bee as of yet and it is July. My lavender plants which they all love are a mininimum of three to four feet in diameter. Where are they? Mrs. G

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ABz5b

If you have Bumblebees I wouldnt worry about not seeing honey bees. Bumbles are superior pollinators due to all the fine hairs across their body that help carry pollen.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 2:05PM
bruce2288

I was just thinking of posting re bees. I just watched a leaf cutter bee take that half circle out of a leaf. They are fast cutters. The flight physics must not have been to good he crashed after take off. Left his leaf piece and came back to cut another one.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 4:19PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

Yeah, bee happy with the bumble bees. I am happy to report that we have plenty of honey bees working over our melon plants and the clover in everyones yard. I have almost given up hand pollinating. The bees are doing a better job. Actually, my 5 yo son got stung by one 2 days ago. He must have stepped on it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:46PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks all, sorry about the bee sting Ed. I think its a childhood right of passage. I'll be happy with my bumbles. I just like the sight of honey bees in the garden. I am so afraid my tree spraying is affecting them.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 11:42PM
ericwi

Here in Madison, Wisconsin, I am growing both blueberries and various native flowers in our yard. We have both bumblebees and honeybees in considerable numbers. Keeping honeybees has turned into a popular hobby around here, so that might contribute to the numbers.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™