Which one of these cherries should I plant

ljkewljJuly 18, 2014

Hi everyone

Need some advice on which one of these cherries on Newroot-1 rootstock I should plant since I only have room for one more. I currently have two bing xtra dwarf cherries and one nugent cherry tree. I live in SE CT. and would to also know why which one based on your choice.

Black Tartarian
Craig's Crimson
Lapins
Rainier
Stella
Sweetheart

Thanks
ljkewlj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Of those Lapins. But it's a lot like Bing. You should look into Whitegold, Blackgold, Blackpearl, Burgundypearl, Ebonypearl, and Radiancepearl. Those six were bred and tested in NY. They should be better adapted to your conditions, Bing and such clearly aren't.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 12:51PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Sweetheart also is fairly good for the area. I want to try Lapin's myself. Although I would pick Whitegold as it is a Rainier like cherry, but probably easier to grow than Rainier. As you have dark cherries already. Although I want a Rainier too! I have Whitegold. It's a new plant, so no comments. it's growing really well though. First year in ground. I lost a Whitegold to canker, this is a replacement. Grandpa's Nursery replaced it for free.
On Gisela 5

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:58PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Bing is not a good choice for the east, if you learn how to graft you may want to convert one or both of them. I did that with my two Bings years ago. Many others on your list are also not good east coast cherries. Cherries have a strong tendency to crack and rot and you need crack resistant varieties. Black Tartarian has been OK for me. Black and White Gold are my standards, they are good tasting cherries and crack less than most. Many people like Lapins. I didn't get very tasty cherries off it but it died before I could really see how it would do.

Scott

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™