Sour blueberries

stargazer_1118(Zone 7-Cape Cod)July 18, 2007

I have over 50 blueberry plants and the berries are sour. These are well established plants and there are LOTS of pine trees around. Is there anything I can do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
billv(z6 WVA)

Maybe wait a week for them to get ripe?

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 12:57PM
jellyman(6/7VA)

Stargazer:

Agree with Billy. Blueberries with a reddish color around the stem end are not ripe, and will always be tart. Blueberries left on the bush to become fully deep blue will nearly always be sweet, but, unfortunately, that's when the birds like them most.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 1:35PM
civil84

Let them ripen more. We have finally more berries than the birds can eat. We picked them pink for several years before the birds got to them. The pinks turn blue in the house but never get sweet. We cooked with sour blueberries. Intense sour fruit flavor for cooking with sugar but not for eating.
We always lost the blue sweet ones to birds until this year the bushes got so big that the birds could not eat the sweet ones. We pick the blue blue ones now daily or twice daily. We have two giant tall bush now about 8 feet tall.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 1:08PM
don_mikeska

Blueberries will NOT sweeten any after picking. Look for a dark navel, not the color of the fruit. Fruit can be dark, but the navel pinkish, and it will be sour. Also, ripe sweet berries will literally fall of in your hand when you are picking. I also learned the hard way. Don Mikeska, Bastrop Tx.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™