Why are these watermelon leaves yellowing??

edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)July 24, 2012

I have three 18 gallon containers with watermelons in them. Using basically the 511 mix...pine bark, peat and perlite. Used some granular fertilizer a couple of times during the season (a little heave on the P for watermelons), and also use a liquid fertilizer at 1/4 strength at every watering, which is about once per day. In the past couple of weeks, these leaves are showing some yellowing, and I have not been able to slow or reverse the trend. This is the only container that's doing this. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the plant alive for another 6 weeks if possible. There are still 4 melons that need to mature. Thanks. Ed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

You have yellow leaves with green vains this iron lack of its called christmas tree as veins show shape of christmas tree.

You need a teaspoon liquid iron in gallon water spray leaves first pour rest in pot iron not Mobil from leaves back to other parts of plant so all leave need good cover spray to correct color and soil applied take care future sprayed leaves show next day as improvement Iron plays big roll in sweetness of fruits alone with low sulfur leaves in great condition make sugar for melons spray all you plants.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 9:41PM
edweather(Zone 5a/b Central NY)

The yellowing might just be old age! Nothing lives for ever. We harvested the Cream Of Saskatchewan today and it was a little overripe. Seedlings were only set out in early May. Hadn't even reached the maturity date yet. So I immediately plucked the Sugar baby. That should be better. I think that sitting on top of the container in this hot summer ripened them a little faster than normal. Still 3 more COS to go, but they formed much later than the first one, so hopefuly the plant will hang on for another month or so.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 9:42PM

Thanks for response gator rider2. We must have been typing at same time. Where can I get liquid iron? From garden center maybe?

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 9:46PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Any garden center should have liquid iron in small bottle like Ortho product wal-mart has iron up until christmas take over garden department then garden center products go in dumpsters minus small display over by cat and dog products lol.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 10:08PM

OK, thanks. I'll pick some up and let you know how it works. Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
best tasting pomegranate
I recall an article in CRFG about a year ago about...
markintexas123
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™