new to grafting !!!

sunsetparkerJuly 17, 2014

i have a 1 and half year old tree from a hachiya persimmon seed, and i want it to be my rootstock for my fuyu scion.
what grafting method is best for it to survive ? should i do two grafts so even 1 dies, i would still have 1 left, or I can only do 1 graft at a time ?

and one more question:

i watched a video on youtube, and there's a farmer in Taiwan emphasized that grafting also catalyzes aging of the plant, and he did many experiments on seedlings that he cut the tip off the young tree, and removed the middle part, and he used the lower part as rootstock and grafted the tip onto it, the results came out that the grafted plant bears flowers the next year.
my question is, is that really possible ? has anyone tried this before ?

here is the link, but it's in chinese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ykM62V4nKk

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

I like bark graft for larger persimmon rootstock and wedge graft for smaller persimmon rootstock. If you decided to use Kaki rootstock then the persimmon tree won't be as winter hardy as a native persimmon rootstock. After care is important, make sure yoiu rub off all the new growths below the graft union to ensure all the energy goes toward the grafted tree.

Tony

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:09PM
sunsetparker

Tony:

thank you for the advice, and do you know what happens when you graft the scion to the same tree(remove the middle part), does it accelerate the plant to bear flowers and fruit ?

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:38PM

Sunset,

I did quite a few American persimmon crosses. I planted the seeds and let them grow for one season. The following March, I harvested the scion woods or as you mentioned from above, "the tip" portion of the young tree and grafted to another larger root stock or the same root stock if you like. But I prefer larger rootstock for more vigorous growth. These trees will bear persimmon fruits in 3-4 years instead of 7 years for the seedlings to bear fruits. Most of breeders do this method to save time. If the cross turn out to be bad then they just top work them and the process continue until they achieve the desire fruit. I hope this will help you.

Tony

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 5:16PM
sunsetparker

Tonytran:

So it's better to get the scion from a tree that had already produced fruit, and it should bear fruits much faster then ?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:31PM

Sunset,

On occasions, I had few grafts flower right away. I usually removed them and let the grafts grow. Sometimes, the weight of the fruits will break the new graft.

Tony

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 4:28PM
sunsetparker

Tony:

so i think i might want to try to graft the tip on the the base, and the middle part onto another tree, and see what happens.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Confused about grape vine spraying
I'm getting overwhelmed trying to figure this out on...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Flower Grande Sage 7 ft. 9
Home Depot
10w Xenon Festoon Frosted 10W 12V 25-Pack
$80.00 | PLFixtures
Safavieh Handmade Soho Vine Light Blue New Zealand Wool Rug (7'6 x 9'6)
Overstock.com
Florence Style Loft Wool Loveseat in Blue Tweed
$699.00 | LexMod
Alliyah Handmade Burgundy New Zealand Blend Wool Rug (10' Square)
Overstock.com
Neutral Shag Rug 4' x 6' - LIGHT BLUE
$499.00 | Horchow
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Summerton Life Style Collection
Home Depot
Blue & Ivory Agnes Wool Runner
$84.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™