How to get rid of Crows?

plumhillfarmJuly 18, 2014

A flock of crows has moved in to the woods around my orchard. They are all over the orchard and the fruit is not even ripe yet. Is there any ways to get rid of them besides shooting them? I would hate to have to net all my trees, normally the birds only go after the really tasty ones, ut crows will eat everything.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenn_10 zone 4b/5a NewBrunswick,Can.

I usually shoot one crow and hang it upside down from a pole in the middle of what ever they were eating. They all fly back and circle around seeing their fallen brother and then fly away and do not return for the rest of the season. You could try a fake dead crow and see if it has the same effect.
The other bonus of the dead crow is it also seems to keep the deer away as they do not like the smell of rotten crow. Gross I know but I live in the country and don't have any neighbors to offend.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:33PM
alan haigh

The only problem with hanging a crow is sensitive humans may see it and react badly- It makes the assassination obvious. However, my limited experience with the issue seems to indicate that crows can see the corpse even if you leave it where it falls. They will avoid that area for quite some time if that experience indicates a wider truth.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 6:04PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

I don't no crows in your area, but problem solved by hanging one from tree limb let swing in wind this give life like appearance that what crows can't take leave. Hanging Owl from high as can limb they work for me over 5 acres area. Use solid Plastic Owl not Swivel head style the solid have loop top head for cord twine. Leave swing Owl 6 foot below limb this give right amount free movement.

A bait station with pocket gopher poison up off ground kill a lot crows. You want high up so other animals won't eat bait.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 7:54PM
murkwell

At our place the crows dive-bomb and harass the great horned owls.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:29PM
2010champsbcs

Glen10. Something tells me that you take the Clint Eastwood approach. It may not be for the faint of heart but I like your process and a couple of your lines in particular.

I usually shoot one crow and hang it upside down from a pole in the middle of what ever they were eating.

The other bonus of the dead crow is it also seems to keep the deer away as they do not like the smell of rotten crow.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 3:29PM
nyRockFarmer(5A Southern Tier, NY)

Crows are very intelligent and can easily learn different people. It seems like they would connect the danger with the shooter and still come to the area when the shooter is not visible. I suppose if one was shot without seeing the shooter, they might be more fearful of an area as having and mysterious danger.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™