Mango Nectarine

Bradybb(wa8)July 15, 2012

Here's a new one,at least for me.I was at a local grocery store and saw a variety of Plumcots that I talked to one of the produce people about.During that time,he showed me this fruit.

I asked him if it tasted more like a Nectarine or a Mango.His answer was,everyone's tastes are a little different.He also couldn't explain how they could cross the two.It turns out they didn't.I think even the Zaiger people may have a tough time doing that.

It was developed by David Kamada from Ito Fruit Company a few decades ago.It is a cross between two Nectarine sports.

To me,it doesn't have much of a Mango flavor,more Nectarine than anything.It could be called that because of it's light greenish-yellow hue.

I'm wondering though,is anyone growing this?I couldn't find any cultivars online.It looks like most of the fruit comes from California.Thanks,Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango Nectarine info

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

I suspect you're right about the origin of the name, it certainly does resemble an under-ripe mango of certain varieties. I wonder if the flesh is that rich, mango-orange color?

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™