dry zone 9 - kiwi

vjeko(Croatia, 9)July 26, 2013

I'm in Croatia on the coast / 100m from the sea with just the
house north of the kiwis - so there's not so much protection from wind. I know this is not the best scenario to grow kiwis and I should probably have stopped since I've already moved/bought new ones a couple of times, but I'm pretty stubborn ;)

The soil lacks humus, so I added sheep manure and worm compost and have sprayed with aerated worm compost tea. The kiwis started growing but with the coming of summer and the hot and dry weather, they just stopped growing and many leaves dried up (I guess I'm afraid of overwatering/root rot.

I added mulch which I collected around the place (grape wines, straw oregano etc.) to see if cooling the soil would help ( I know a lot more mulch is necessary) and gave them a good watering - approx. 20l each away from the "trunk"(removing mulch before watering, so it doesn't breakdown too fast and to avoid disease) . The next day, the leaves showed some healthy green.

What can I do to promote growth ? It seems each year at summer time, all growth stops and withers and then
they start again next spring - not much progress.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vjeko(Croatia, 9)

this one showed a bit more green

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 1:43PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Just like your citrus too dry. Everything is withering up. Forget disease or mulch and water more.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 2:40PM
steve_in_los_osos

My experience with kiwis so far is that they don't seem to like full sun much when they are young--especially if the weather is hot, but even in my cooler maritime climate. Someone else also mentioned this in another thread. Maybe a little shade for a year or two?

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™