Plum Tree -- Beginner Advice...

ForeverRecycleReuse(MN 4b)July 12, 2013

I planted a plum tree (South facing) last year from a Nursery that had lost its tree tag in a storm. They said it is a self-pollinating plum variety. This year the tree appears healthy... slight battle with aphids but appears resolved. The tree flowered with hot pink flowers and produced tiny fruit bulbs but none developed any larger than a marble and continue to hang on the tree. I do not expect any fruit yet as the tree is still establishing but am concerned with the possibility of it not being a self-pollinator.

All the branches continue to grow upward as well. Not sure if I should try to train them more horizontally. I have many young fruit trees in the yard but am just starting the learning curve. Have read many websites and posts but still do not know that the best approach is with this tree.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ForeverRecycleReuse(MN 4b)

(Picture of undeveloped fruit...)

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 1:46PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I've never seen plums with those long stems. I'd be concerned it might be an ornamental plum if it's even a plum. Looks more like a crabapple???

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 2:01PM

Well that would sure be a disappointment. Is there anyway to tell the difference or how many years will I have to wait to figure out what kind of tree this really is?

I really had no desire to have a crabapple tree and don't know much about them besides their flowers and fragrance are nice. Are the fruit edible? Thinking it could pollinate an apple tree though....

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 4:02PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

A plum has a single seed inside. A crab apple has several seeds in compartments just like a regular apple. Cut one of those fruit in half and you can easily tell if it's an apple or possibly a plum.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:00PM
mrsg47(7)

I do believe it is a crab. Yes it will pollinate an apple tree.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:02PM
swampsnaggs

That appears to be a crabapple tree. The stems on the fruits are long. The bark is smooth. The size of the fruits is too small to be a named variety of plum at this point in the summer. The crabapples will be edible but may or may not be palatable. Yes it will do a good job of pollinating another apple tree. Or you could graft whatever apple you want onto it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 6:04PM

Cut one of the fruits open and there are (4) seed chambers. I guess my plum tree has become a crabapple tree.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
Plum tree
My plum tree has new growth. I remember a couple of...
tim45z10
Suburban backyard "orchard" (Z6 SE NY)
Hello all. I have a new to me house and yard (Zone...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
Gophers killing apple trees... Help!
Gophers have killed 2 roses and one prized apple tree...
peteramu
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
Sponsored Products
Windy Morn Wall Art
Grandin Road
Luminous Tree - Christmas Decorations
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Adele Brushed Steel Plum Mini Pendant
$136.00 | Bellacor
Jane Seymour 13 in. Mixed Hydrangea Planter - JSB216-GRPK
$350.00 | Hayneedle
Rose Tree Cliveden Pillow Cases (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Veli Wall and Ceiling Mount
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™