Hardy Cherry Plum Pollination?

Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)July 13, 2014

These have been the most mystified species for cross pollination. I grow several now but fruit set is extremely low.
I'm talking about Manor, Oka etc.
Which is doing the pollination for you?
So far, sand cherry, [Prunus besseyi] seems to be the best as they say,.. what is your thought on this?

Here is a link that might be useful: More Cherry Plums

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

I dunno konrad, after months of reading up on pollinating my toka, I dont recall seeing anything much about cherry plums. DNA says sand cherry. Turns out that the U of sask has the same writings as DNA gardens. Im wondering if any japanese plums will pollinate? I guess other cherry plums just arent cutting it? Maybe the winter just kills off the buds?

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 7:50AM
plumhillfarm

Hi, I have several of these, Sapa, Sapalta, and I believe manor. They have huge loads of fruit every year and some of them are not very close to eachother. THey bloom later than most Japanese plums, catch the tail of the Kaga and Toka blooms, and I have no sand cherries, but there are choke cherries in the woods. I got them due to the U of Sasak article a long time ago. I have been pulling them out as they are not very tastey (but so purple they are almost black), and they are to short for my sprayer so they get brown rot badly. THey are supposed to be extremely hardy so I do not think the cold is an issue. I would say native plum would be the best as they bloom at the same time.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 12:34PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Thank you all!
Plumhill,.so, do you think it's the Kaga and Toka, I don't think
chokecherry will do, I do have Toka, should be flowering next year I hope, please keep an eye open on what's doing it for you.

I must have these in the ground for at least 15 years now and see slowly little improvements since I planted tons of other stuff,..lots of wild plums and Americana, flowering overlapping but not much improvement, the best is when I hand pollinate with sand cherry, rarely ever see bees on them,..they don't seem to like these!

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 1:37AM

Here at Green Barn, Steve introduces some chums, he say's nice to eat, ...I think it's just a sales hype, [when you hear him talk, he nearly choked on that acid!] have to agree with you Plumhill, not all that tasty, ..think they can be a good processing plum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chums

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:17PM

plumhillfarm
Question:
Is Kaga a good plum? Is it worth heaving when I have
already Toka? I'm talking about quality of fruit.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™