raspberry help

mpoland33July 3, 2013

THREE QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE:

1.I bought raspberry plants from Depot last year and I really never paid attention to what kind of raspberry plant I bought. Now I'm into it and have no clue. The plant produced few raspberries last year. I trimmed them back. This year it's producing quite a bit. Any way to tell what kind I have?

2. Any way to get a fall crop out of this?

3. I have a HORRIBLE Japanese beetle problem. They started about two weeks ago and last night, I literally couldn't see half of the bushes anymore. I did the ole soap in bucket trick and got rid of a majority of them...but I assume more will come. Any tips?

BONUS QUESTION:

Anyone recommend any books or reading on raspberries?

Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cablestarman(NE OH 6a)

Is it possible for you to take a picture of it? What color is the fruit? It is possible to get 2 crops out of it if it is a fall-bearing or everbearing variety. Im lucky this year, just a few Japanese beatles so far. Removal by hand is the best way in my opinion, whatever you do, DO NOT USE JAPANESE BEATLE TRAPS. Good book I read was Berries (Firefly Gardener's Guide) - has all the berries in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries (Firefly Gardener's Guide) [Paperback]

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 2:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

Brushing the Japanese beetles into a bucket of warm soapy water is fast and effective. You will have to repeat this every day for about a month, in order to get the upper hand. The raspberries will often grow new foliage to replace what was damaged by insects.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™