Avocado Main Stem

foofghtJuly 8, 2013

Few months ago I lobbed off the upper half of our Holiday Avocado tree due to freeze damage. Poor tree looked really bad before, but a lot of new branches and growth has come since.

I hear Avos have a tendency to devote energy to upward growth, so should i expect the main stem to regrow again or possibly a new stem to develop near the top?

About a foot from the topm there is a limb growing upwards and out to the side. Could that develop to a new main stem if I tied it off to a stake to promote vertical growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I would trim that cut a little closer to the last node. That should stimulate a new apical node to sprout from just below the cut. Now, Holiday avocados tend to want to crawl along the ground, so this is one of the few times I'll recommend staking the tree up until you do get some upright growth. But, You might want to loosen up the green tape stranglehold you've got going on there with the stake :-) A looser stake that allows the trunk to sway a bit, which encourages a bigger stronger trunk.

Patty S.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 2:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foofght

Thanks Patty S. Whereabouts closer? The nodes above the green tape? Or below where the offshoots are?

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™